I did not make the Knitting Olympics this year, but am rather wishing there was an event for Finishing, as I've somehow managed to wrap up two long-neglected projects in two days -- the Vintage Velvet Scarf (still drying) and this one, the Three-Rib Beret, from an article by Jacqueline Fee in the November/December 2009 "Piecework" magazine.
The moment I saw this darling hat, I thought of some Jaeger Matchmaker DK I've had in the drawer for quite a number of years -- this is shade 656 Cherry, not that it matters any more, I suppose, because it's been discontinued, curse them. A terrific yarn.
I had to enlarge the pattern, as it was far too small as written for Julia's impressive noggin. I cast on with 102 sts, increasing to 204 for the st st section, dec to 180 and then 90 for the K5, P5 section, and down again to 36 for the K2, P2 top; I did each section 2 rounds longer than in the pattern, to keep the balance more like the original. Julia says it's a bit small, but okay -- but I'm not concerned by her coolness, as she hasn't taken the thing off since I sewed on the last pompom last night.
Had to use 2 skeins, but got to try out the Russian join which worked pretty well.
It doesn't look like much flat, but on a head it is incredibly cute, and with pompoms almost irresistable!