This is my first-ever polymer clay project, a sink for Laura's dollhouse. I started it probably in 2007 (!) when we were building the house, according to the photograph in the book -- which is Venus Dodge's The New Dolls' House Do-It-Yourself Book. I wasn't at all happy with it at the time, with my inability to get a truly smooth surface on either the brick pillars or the sink, and so after I baked the Sculpey, I put it away and left it until just the other day, when deep in the delightful throes of planning a Tudor house, I poked through the box of leftover bits and bobs, and found the sink.
Obviously the kitchen needs a sink, so the choice was to start again from the beginning, or to put together the pieces I had and see how it turned out. I did consider starting over again, but luckily talked myself out of that within a day. I glued together two pieces of thin wood from David's scrap box, cut it to roughly the size I thought the drainboard should be, and sanded it -- he showed me how to score the lines in it with an awl, and helped me to glue it all together with epoxy, using a temporary jig measured to the size of the opening beside the kitchen fireplace.
I've never actually seen a real sink like this, only in Victorian-cottage dollhouses, so I wasn't sure of the proportions, and still think the sink part is a bit too small, probably in both directions. I'm also a little embarrassed at my lousy paint job on the brick pointing, but I'll blame that on the brush for now, as it was a cheap and ill-used watercolor one from the girls' art bin. On the other hand, I'm delighted with the drain board, which turned out exactly the way I'd pictured it in my mind, especially after I brushed a little wood oil on it this morning.
It's very wonky, I know, but I'm telling myself that this house isn't meant to be especially realistic, but dolly-friendly. Of course this doesn't preclude making a better one some time in the future, but for now, wonkiness is part of the charm! And it isn't so obvious once the other furniture is back in place.
I still have a piece of fine brass rod, apparently meant for "plumbing", so perhaps I'll put that in eventually, along with a tile splashback, as it still looks quite bare in the corner!
I had forgotten that the book has instructions for a kitchen dresser, so perhaps I might do that next.
As for the "sock" part in the title of this post, I've been slowly but steadily working on a toe-up school sock in MadeleineTosh Tosh Sock in the lovely "Black Velvet" colorway, greys and purply-reds. I was dragging my feet for nothing, as the Widdershins heel worked like a charm. I am almost halfway through the skein, so in a day or two I'll be starting the second sock...