I made two more of these aprons from my grandma's pattern, one for my sister and one for my cousin.
My sister wears mostly black, so when I saw this black-and-white floral fabric, I knew it was the one. Unfortunately, it was either not even close to 44" wide or it shrank a lot, so it wasn't nearly wide enough when it came to cutting, and so I ended up making it a little shorter in order to have some fabric to add to the circumference. Cross-grain, too, but it couldn't be helped. Luckily for me, the pattern is so busy that you can barely see the piecing!
I put the bias edging all of the way around the pockets on this version. Not entirely successful, but that was my fault, I'm pretty sure, besides being black thread on black fabric!
(These photos aren't great, but I was on my way to wrapping up the aprons when I realized I hadn't taken photos yet, and the sky was so dark with rainclouds that the only place I could get enough light was right in front of the open front door -- and then it got even darker, and I had to move to the front porch! There was no way I was going to complain about it raining, believe you me.)
This one is reversible, with two bright Kaffe Fassett fabrics ("Antwerp Flowers" and "Winter Strata"). I bought an extra half-yard of the stripes so that I could lay the pattern cross-wise and have the stripes going up-and-down.
I debated with myself for a long time about whether to mix the fabrics for the pockets, and in the end I decided, yes, to put the flowers on the stripes and vice versa. Since I had extra striped fabric, I made those pockets a little bit bigger and squared-off, too, just for variety.
The button(s) perforce have to be on both sides, which necessitates two shanked buttons in the same spot, but I didn't really see any way around this, so I hope it won't be awkward. Maybe the fabrics will make up for that!